Psionics is the knack of channeling your own internal magic into special effects that the common person simply cannot match. There are a hundred different kinds of psions, but we are going to focus on a handful of the most common:
- Psion – This is the generalist, capable of learning new ways of tapping into their own energies, and combining talents in various ways.
- Hexblade – The blending of wizard and warrior, the hexblade aligns his soul with one of the Ten Elements, finding ways to use that element to his advantage.
- Monk – The monk is interested primarily in perfecting his body and mind. He denies himself the trappings of this world, including even weapons for his fight. The results of such intense discipline and focus cannot be denied.
- Warlock – Laws govern the actions of man. Likewise, laws govern the actions of nature. But, like the laws of man, the laws of nature can be manipulated to one’s own ends.
- Marvello – This irrepressible showman is also know as “the trickster” by those who are not so amused by their antics. The marvello is at worst a master of deceit, misdirection, and disguise. And, yet, they more often use their talents as entertainers, putting on remarkable displays of illusion and prestidigitation to earn a few coins.
- Mentat – A Mentat is capable of pushing his mind into that of another. He is able to read thoughts and emotions, project his own thoughts and emotions, and eventually control his target’s mind or even change his memories.
- Assassin – More than simply a trained killer, the assassin is able to use a smattering of psionic abilities to find, approach, and dispose of targets in impossible situations.
In addition, there are a few other groups that gain some of the benefits of psionics without strictly speaking being a psion. Paladins are divine warriors, fighting for the purest motives, and fueled by their convictions. However, despite being technically Chosen, many of their abilities use the psionics rules. Feylin also use the psionics rules to reflect the power inherited from their immortal bloodline.