The six standard abilities are used:
Please note the key change from standard d20: Strength modifies all weapon damage, and Dexterity modifies all weapon attacks. There is no longer a split between melee and ranged for this purpose.
- Measures raw physical power
- Modifies weapon damage, carrying capacity, and skill checks that rely on muscle
- Strength is important to fighters, rangers, monks, paladins, and hexblades.
- Measures grace and precision of movement
- Modifies attack roll, defense roll, initiative, and skill checks that rely on finesse
- Dexterity is important to rogues, swashbucklers, fighters, and rangers.
- Measures health and endurance
- Modifies vitality/wounds, fortitude checks, and limits skill checks that rely on stamina
- Constitution is important to fighters, monks, and psions.
- Measures memory and ingenuity
- Modifies skill points, wealth, and skill checks that rely on reason (notably Spellcraft)
- Intelligence is important to savants, courtiers, wizards, and hexblades.
- Measures awareness and willpower
- Modifies stress/sanity, resolve, and skill checks that rely on perception
- Wisdom is important to rangers, grifters, courtiers, clerics, psions, and paladins.